Guide from our Librarians: Local Legal Help Resources
Free or Low- Cost Civil Legal Help Resources for the Kansas City Area.
Free and Low- Cost Civil Legal Help Resources for the Kansas City Area
- Law help: - Will link you to state-specific sites, you can find fact sheets, interactive forms, legal aid directory, resources in other languages, and much more.
- Kansas Legal Services: - A statewide non-profit corporation devoted to helping low-income Kansans (various legal topics). Must apply online or by phone to receive legal help, the main number is 1-800-723-6953. There is a live chat for filling out forms (but not for legal advice). The website offers free online interactive forms and much more.
Currently offering free legal advice every 2nd Thursday of the month via telephone from 6:00pm to 8:00pm CST. The number to call is 1-800-928-3111.
La solicitud de asistencia legal está disponible en español, el número para llamar es el 316-267-3975 de lunes a viernes de 7:30 de la mañana a 5:00 de la tarde.
- Military Matters: - For Kansas City area military members and Veterans. Military Matters works to provide pro bono legal services to military service members and Veterans, who reside in or have a home of record and legal issues in the Kansas City Metropolitan nine-county service territory, in any practice area. See their website for more information on referral partners and local services.
- Johnson County District Court: - Forms, self-help center and much more. The court is operating virtually and in person.
Court Hours and Contact
Office Hours: M-F 8:00am- 5:00pm
Phone: (913) 715-3300
- Kansas Judicial Branch: - Various forms and resources, lawyer referral service, links to free or low-cost legal aid. Access to justice advice line, Kansas elder law hotline, and more.
- KU School of Law:
Free tax help
Law students from the University of Kansas provide free federal and state tax preparation services to those who qualify through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, if you have any questions, contact the VITA office at email@example.com or 785-864-9227 or visit the website for session information.
Free legal help is offered to low-income clients in Lawrence Municipal Court and Douglas County, for more information call 785-864- 5564.
Medical legal assistance if provided for free, for more information, please call 913-588-3731.
Post-Conviction appeal assistance is provided for low-income clients. Licensed attorneys offer clinics, you must write to request an application.
Paul E. Wilson Project for Innocence & Post-Conviction Remedies
1535 W. 15th Street
Lawrence, KS 66045-7608
low cost quick legal advice. The Kansas Bar Association (KBA) has a service called "Kan Ask-A-Lawyer" That will connect you to a lawyer to answer your legal questions for $2.00/minute. Here are the steps to follow:
Call the KBA Lawyer Referral Service (LRS) at 1-800-928-3111. The KBA LRS Representatives can refer you to a lawyer who can answer your question for $2 per minute. KBA also provides free legal advice via phone through the Kansas Legal Services Corporation. See Kansas Legal Services information at the top.
- Johnson County Law Library: The Law Library is open 8:00am – 5:00pm, Monday - Friday. Online you can find court forms, court rules, court fees, online catalog search, FAQ, and links to other resources. Call (913)715-4145, 8:00am – 5:00pm, Monday- Friday for more information.
- Washburn University School of Law: The library is open to Public Patrons 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday - Friday. Reference librarians are available for research consultation Mon. - Fri., 8:00am to 5:00pm. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org, call 785-670-1088, also available: curbside pick-up and online catalog use. For more information, check their website.
- Johnson County Library Databases:
Law Depot Legal Forms- Empowers each patron to create their own personalized legal documents specific to their state/province and personal situation.
Legal Collection- allows you to research topics and browse legal publications through EBSCOhost. You must login in to utilize both databases.
Legal Resource Starter list
General Legal Web Resources
- Legal Services Corporation
- Cornell Law School’s Legal Information Institute
- FindLaw – Learn About the Law
- LawShelf Educational Media
- Law Library of Congress
- US Federal Government Information
- NOLO – publisher of legal self-help resources (also state-specific forms):
- Self-Represented Litigation Network
- American Bar Association’s Legal Resources for the Public
- American Bar Association’s Resource Center for Access to Justice Initiatives
Paths to State-Specific Resources
- LawHelp Interactive – Free legal forms
- National Center for State Courts: list of state court websites
Evaluating Legal Resources:
- AALL Access to Legal Information
- Peoples’ Law Library Guide to Evaluating Legal Websites
Legal Research Guides:
- AALL How to Research a Legal Problem
- AALL Public Library Toolkits
- Law Library of Congress Legal Research Guide
- Georgetown Law Free and Low Cost Legal Resources Guide
- Minnesota State Law Library Resources for Public Librarians
- Tucker, Virginia, and Marc Lampson. Finding the Answers to Legal Questions. ALA Neal-Schuman, 2018.
- Healey, Paul D. Legal Reference for Librarians How and Where to Find the Answers. American Library Association, 2014.
- Elias, Stephan. Legal Research: How to Find & Understand the Law. NOLO, 2018.