If you are permanently or temporarily homebound and unable to come to the Library then you qualify for HomeConnect, a books-by-mail service for residents of Johnson County. Learn more and enroll »
Kansas Talking Books
The Kansas State Library offers digital books and digital players at no-cost. Kansas residents who are unable to read or use standard printed materials as a result of temporary or permanent visual or physical impairment or reading disability due to organic dysfunction are eligible. Learn more »
Our library services to justice-involved patrons are supported by the Johnson County Library Foundation in partnership with granting agencies.
- Read to Me: Incarcerated parents are recorded reading a book, the Library then provides a copy of the recording and the book to the child.
- Library ETC (explore tinker connect): Production-centered program at the Juvenile Detention Center and Adolescent Center for Treatment facilitated by Johnson County Library staff and volunteers.
- Court Assisted Reading Encouragement (C.A.R.E.): Books are provided by the JCL Foundation, given as a gift from the judge, to children from birth to teen who are caught up in the court system. These books serve as a beacon to encourage these youth in the midst of life challenges.
- Therapeutic Community Book Group: A weekly book group facilitated by Library staff for residents of the Adult Residential Center's Therapeutic Community
- Office Hours: Connecting justice-involved patrons with library resource, librarians bring books and make library cards for residents of the Adult Residential Center.
- Author Visits: The Library proudly connects justice-involved patrons with community events by bringing special speakers, authors and workshop facilitators into our partner facilities.
The Latino population is one of the fastest growing populations in Johnson County. We strive to meet the needs of this population through programs including:
- English as a Second Language conversation classes - taught entirely by volunteers
- 6 by 6 en Espanol – The Library provides early literacy programs delivered in Espanol and 6 by 6 Ready to Read Instructional Cards in Espanol with funding from the Johnson County Foundation.
- Bilingual storytimes
- Library Help in Spanish at (913) 826-4648.
For a complete listing of our services please visit En Español.
Community Outreach Cards
Organizations that serve and support our adult communities with limited library access in Johnson County can get a Community Outreach Card for checking out materials.
- Community Outreach Accounts allow a 5 week check out of materials for use in a group or program setting.
- Materials are renewable up to 5 times excluding items that have hold requests.
- Overdue fines are not charged.
- Replacement fees for lost or damaged items are charged.
- Accounts expire 1 year after registration and must be renewed.
- Please contact any library to update information and/or renew your account.
- Identity verification with current photo ID and proof of organization address is required.