Guide from our Librarians: Job Search Help
Get help with your resume and cover letters and see networking tips.
Manage Your Job Search
- Job & Career Accelerator (Library card number and PIN/password required)
This online "career coach" will guide you step-by-step through the job search process. Their skill assessment function will help match to your skills with occupations. Try this site to create a resume, find job listings and track your progress
- Workforce Partnership
This organization supports job seekers by providing free access to computers/ printers and services; individual career assessments; workshops on a variety of topics (writing resumes, interviewing); job listings and more!
- Job Seeker Resources from KansasWorks
This KansasWorks webpage provides a wealth of information on all aspects of the job search process.
- Women’s Employment Network (WEN)
A program that provides support for women entering or re-entering the workforce through online and/or in-person personal and professional development workshops and financial coaching.
- CareerUSA.org – Free online career training from an organization whose mission is to provide one website where anyone is unemployed or underemployed can find everything they need to help with their career search.
This site provides useful information about job searching and career management at every level. Whether you’re looking for your first job or are a seasoned professional ready to advance, you’ll find articles and advice about managing your search online, protecting your privacy, expanding your network and more.
Research a Potential Employer
Companies do their research on you before you arrive for the interview, and you should do the same. Start with the company's website, specifically their careers section, and investigate their values, leadership, employee testimonials and social media channels. You can also use LinkedIn to identify people who work for a specific company or in a particular industry.
- Video on Job Interview Research Resources
From Expert Village.
- Data Axle Reference Solutions
Provides detailed information on more than 53 million U.S. businesses and nearly 2 million Canadian businesses.
- Book of Lists from Kansas City Business Journal
Find lists of top area organizations in a variety of industries and fields. Published by the Kansas City Business Journal. Find it under the "Resources" section.
Glassdoor gives an inside look at jobs and companies including salary details, company reviews and interview questions. All reviews are posted anonymously by employees and job seekers.
- Kansas City Star
See if the company has been in the news lately or if top executives have been mentioned.
- Mergent Intellect (Library card number and PIN/password required)
Find public and private companies in the U.S. and internationally. Company profiles include sales, number of employees, contact and location information, and executive information.
- S & P Global NetAdvantage
Offers access to stock reports, company reports, industry surveys, and fund reports, including features and commentary from Standard & Poor’s on topics such as the economy, daily stock market activity, industry sectors, stocks, bonds, funds, and investment strategies.
Prepare Your Resume and Cover Letter
- Job and Career Accelerator (Library card number and PIN/password required)
View the tutorial and use ResumeBuilder to create sharp, focused resumes that stand out from the competition.
- Optimal Resume online suite via Brainfuse JobNow
Create, present, manage and share your resumes, cover letters, portfolios, websites and more.
- LearnFree.org from Goodwill Community Foundation Global
Learn which resume formats the experts prefer and how to effectively write summary statements, your employment history, and other sections. Then browse the sample resumes and use the resume template to write your own.
- Check out one of our great books on preparing your resume »
Network & Make Connections
- Check out one of our books on networking for career development »
- Kansas City Job Seekers Blog
Job leads and information about career workshops, classes, seminars, career fairs and networking events.
The world’s largest professional network.
- Networking for Professional Success – an online program presented by Efren Mojica, Founder of All About You Consulting.
- Howcast: How to Network (video)
Get tips on practicing your networking skills in this video produced by Howcast.
- KC Area Job Support Groups
Contact information for job support in the area.
- Coffee Lunch Coffee blog
Videos and posts for practical tips on networking.
Check with Your Alma Mater
Colleges and universities have career centers that provide job search assistance to their current students and alumni (regardless of how long it's been since you attended). Give them a call and see how they might be able to help alums.
Online Career Programs
- Presented by Karen Silins, CEO of A+ Career & Resume:
Creating Powerful Resumes & Cover Letters
The Self-Directed Job Search
Blueprint for Success: The Career Portfolio
The Internet Job Search
Career Exploration & Transition — Discovering Your Ideal Career
- Presented by Efren Mojica, Founder of All About You Consulting:
Networking for Professional Success
The Art of Interviewing
- Denise Dias, K-State Extension and Research
When Your Income Drops