We have collected information about careers and finance during the global pandemic.
Need help with your resume, interview skills, or personal finances? See our upcoming virtual Career and Finance programs »
- JCL Food Pantry FAQ - A Library-provided list of area food pantries; this list is updated often in order to reflect changes in service related to COVID-19.
Answers to Financial Questions
- FTC Financial Recovery Overview - Here, the FTC provides an expansive list of information on hardship topics such as recovering from job loss, mortgage relief, vehicle loan repayments, debt management, small business assistance, & scam avoidance.
Local Hiring & Unemployment Resources
- Creating Powerful Resumes & Cover Letters – an online program presented by Karen Silins, CEO of A+ Career & Resume
- Kansas Unemployment - The online source for securing unemployment benefits in the state of Kansas. Please note: This office is understandably fielding a high volume of requests; if you cannot access the website, you may attempt to utilize their automated telefile application system, (800) 766-3777, or e-mail your forms directly to KDOLUICC@ks.gov.
- FTC Unemployment Tips - A thorough article covering scam avoidance, links to job search resources, & tools for working through your finances.
- Workforce Partnership Job Listings - Workforce Partnership routinely posts local job postings & hiring events via their Hot Jobs list (red text, towards top of the page). This & other employment assistance are available via their site.
- Kansas Works - Facilitates online applications for job openings all across the state.
- Amazon Local Hiring - Current Amazon postings in the KC metro.
- United Stated Department of Labor - Federal resource containing links to benefit eligibility, job search engines, job skill improvement tools, & more!
- JCL Job/Career Assistance FAQ - A Library-provided list of resources related to job searching & learning new skills.
- LinkedIn Learning free job search courses – A learning path of 11 courses to navigate finding a job during challenging economic times, accessible with a free personal LinkedIn account.
- CFPB's Guide to the Federal Stimulus - Answers to common questions related to the Cares Act stimulus package.
- CFPB Mortgage Relief - Information on mortgage relief for federally-backed mortgages, & other assistance topics.
- FTC Mortgage Relief - More details on mortgage relief, including links to search federal lenders to look up your mortgage information.
- HCCI Financial Counseling and Education - Offers free phone counseling for households and small business owners regarding budgeting, prioritizing and managing money, debt payment, credit scores and credit building, student loan debt repayment options, medical debt, mortgage delinquency and default. HCCI has five HUD Exam-Certified Counselors. All counseling is free. 800-383-021
- HCCI Landlord & Tenant Counseling and Education - Offers free phone counseling for both renters (tenants) and landlords and their property managers regarding the rental rights & responsibilities of both tenants and landlords under Fair Housing Law and the Kansas Residential Landlord and Tenant Act. Call for questions about rent leases, deposits, pets and roommates, rent delinquency, maintenance issues, unlawful landlord entry, and the eviction process in Kansas. All counseling is free. 800-383-0217.
- Aid for Military Servicemembers - The CFPB highlights several helpful organizations & tools especially for service members.
- CFPB Student Loan Relief - Information on payment changes to federal student loans.
- CFPB Small Business Relief - This page provides an overview of the small business relief program, as well as helpful links for entities who wish to apply to become SBA-certified lenders (these lenders assist in the Payment Protection Plan process).
- SBA Relief - Federal overview of the small business assistance plan; also contains links to apply for SBA jobs & other helpful info.
- KC SourceLink Small Business Relief - An informative, one-stop shop for small business owners on both sides of the state line.
- Kansas Humanities CARES Act Relief - Kansas-based non-profits whose primary focus is the humanities--archives, historical sites, libraries, museums--could be eligible for relief grants (application process is open 5/13-6/12).
- JCL COVID-19 Stimulus Package FAQ - A Library-provided list of external resources related to CARES Act payments.
- CFPB Info Page - A thorough collection of resources covering a variety of facets regarding financial topics in extreme situations for individuals, families, & financial caregivers.
- CFPB Interactive Spending Tracker Tool - An easy-to-use electronic worksheet to track & manage your finances.
- MO SBDC Tips for SB Owners - Tips for managing your small business' finances.
- FDIC Info Page - Guidance from the FDIC on how to manage your finances remotely.
- FDIC MoneySmart - Resources for learning (or teaching!) money management strategies.