Our Friends Volunteer. Our Volunteers are Superstars.
Join the nearly 1,000 members of this non-profit organization that helps make Johnson County Library one of the best libraries in the country. The Friends provide interested community members with opportunities to invest in the success of the Library by donating time or materials. The Friends have served for over 50 years and our leadership in the areas of volunteering and advocacy is instrumental for the Library to reach even greater heights.
Bookstores and Book Sales
The Friends have two physical and three online well-stocked bookstores. Every purchase goes directly to helping your Library. Need the hours? Want the locations online and offline? Or do you simply want more information about the Friends bookstores and book sales?
What do The Friends do?
Using membership fees and other contributions, The Friends of the Library purchases all books weeded from the Library's collection for $50,000 per year. In addition, The Friends donates $125,000 annually, supporting:
- Volunteer Week recognition
- Summer Reading Program
- Special author and cultural events
- Adult literacy and educational programs
- Staff leadership development program
- Wonderful materials for the Library's collection
Volunteer opportunities for Friends members:
- Sort, sell or staff used book sales and stores
- Help assemble projects and mailings
- Participate in special events and receptions
- Serve on The Friends Board or committees
- Volunteer at one of the 13 Library locations
- Help with Merriam Adopt-A-Park program
Benefits of becoming a Friend
- Invitations to special Library and Friends events
- 20% discount at bookstores on Friends Appreciation Day (Second Thursday of each month)
- 10% discount at bookstores
- First day entry to book sales
- Participation in Friends activities
Join the Friends of the Library Now!
Year in Review
See what the Friends have been up to lately in the 2015 Annual Report (PDF).