The new Lenexa City Center Library is taking shape! In recent weeks structural steel, the elevator shaft, stairwells and pre-cast concrete wall panels have emerged on the site. And now, you can get a better glimpse as construction progresses on our next Johnson County Library.
“Portholes” have been installed in the construction barrier wall around the Library site. These windows allow for safe viewing of the progress going on behind those walls -- the new home for Lackman Library patrons.
When it opens in late 2019, the two-story Lenexa City Center Library will house a collection slightly larger than the current Lackman Library, and will feature:
- Kids’ area and Holds on the upper level, with convenient access from the adjacent parking garage and Lenexa Commons area
- An “extended hours” Holds pick-up lobby for picking up your items after hours
- Adults and Teens sections on lower level, featuring a cultural commons area, tech bar, and public art
- A drive-through kiosk in the adjacent parking garage for convenient holds pick-up and material drop off
- Study and conference rooms in a variety of sizes
In collaboration with Holzman Moss Bottino Architecture, Hollis + Miller Architects designed the roughly 40,000 sq. ft. facility to seamlessly fit into the Lenexa City Center plaza and public market while still providing a distinct image for the Johnson County Library.
The exterior of the Library will feature textured walls with deep stone ledges that will engage patrons and the community by allowing for seating within the public plaza. The large roof is designed with an overhang that caps the building – to not only provide shade but also visual prominence. Limestone terrace seating will also be built into the exterior landscaping.
The Lenexa City Center Library features two entrances- the upper level providing easy paths to the Civic Plaza, Lenexa Rec Center, and City Hall; and the lower level entrance is right across from the Public Market.
And while you eagerly “watch” our progress at Lenexa City Center, continue to check back here for more updates!