What is the history of the Overland Park Historical Society?
The Overland Park Historical Society was organized on September 30, 1994 for the purpose of identifying and preserving the history of Overland Park and the surrounding area.
In September of 1998, the Society moved into its current headquarters - the Strang Carriage House. The City of Overland Park renovated the building, and the members of the O.P.H.S. raised money and donated many hours of labor to finish and furnish the interior. The limestone structure, built ca. 1910, originally housed the personal vehicles of William Strang, the founder of Overland Park, and the family of his chauffeur lived upstairs. It is staffed by volunteers at scheduled hours.
The Overland Park Historical Society is starting a book club this fall, tell us more about this.
We have three books we review in the Fall and intend to do the same in the Spring. Pat Crabtree is our member in charge of this activity. If anyone is interested they should contact Ms. Crabtree at 913-432-3448. The first book will be reviewed 9-19-2017.
How can people get involved in the Overland Park Historical Society?
We have many opportunities for volunteers. If anyone is interested, they can contact Florent Wagner at our headquarters in the Carriage House in the Santa Fe Commons, 8045 Santa Fe Drive. Our hours are Tuesdays and Thursdays, 1:00 - 4:00 PM, and Wednesdays and Saturdays from 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM.