To apply, please contact Linda Smith, VP of EFL Associates in Kansas at: email@example.com or (913) 234-1578.
Location: Central Resource Library
Position #: 444444
Date Opened: Jan 19, 2012
Date Closed: Feb. 2, 2012 at 4 p.m.
Position Grade: 23
Status: Full time
The Johnson County Library is located in suburban Kansas City and serves a growing, well educated and increasingly diverse population of 544,000. It operates with a $22.8 million budget, a central resource library and 12 branches. More information about this impressive public library is available at www.jocolibrary.org.
Responsibilities: The County Librarian will: effectively lead and support the Library Board, Foundation and Friends; generate funding support among officials and voters; continue to introduce supplemental leading-edge technologies; nurture a skilled and energetic staff and continue to build effective staff development programs; and skillfully support intellectual freedom and access. The County Librarian must: develop a strategic plan; build effective relationships with the Board of County Commissioners, the County Manager and other County staff; address ongoing needs for cohesiveness in a geographically dispersed staff; implement scheduled facility improvement projects; represent the library effectively within County Government as well as throughout the service area; and continue to enhance working relationships with other libraries around the country.
Organizational Structure: S/he will supervise: Deputy County Librarian, Communications Manager, Staff Development Manager, Foundation Executive Director, and Executive Assistant. There is a 340-member staff. A seven-member Board appoints the County Librarian, sets service policies and administers the budget. The County Commission sets overall budget and staffing levels, issues capital bonds and sets financial and human resources policies.
- Master’s degree in library science
- At least ten years of progressively responsible library management experience including five years in a multi-unit public library system.
- Adept at managing fiscal matters including budgets, fundraising, bond issues, etc.
- Documented results in gaining library funding support from officials and voters.
- Ability to work collaboratively and successfully with government officials and departments.
- Skilled in the legislative process and politically adept.
- Experienced in strategic planning and meeting the needs of the community served.