1. How many books do I have to read?
The total amount is up to you. Reading at least six books helps you remember what you learned last school year so you’ll be ready for next school year. But don’t stop now…keep reading!
2. Can I read comic books or magazines? Do audio books count?
Yes, our goal is to encourage reading during the summer for fun, and all reading is acceptable. Children may also have books read to them and older siblings can count the books they read to younger brothers and sisters.
3. I am 13 years old. Can I be in both “Dream Big READ!” and the teen Goodreads online summer reading club?
No, please choose one or the other. Teens who participate in the “Dream Big READ!” program will get to choose a prize book at the end. Those in the Goodreads online club can write reviews, discuss your favorite books online with other Johnson County teens and participate in reading challenges to win a variety of prizes this summer and throughout the year.
4. How often can I enter the weekly prize drawings? Can I enter at more than one library?
You may submit one entry per visit to any of the libraries.
5. When does the program start and when and where can I turn in my log?
It begins May 21. Turn in your log between July 1 and August 4 at any Johnson County Library.
6. The graded bookmarks may raise the questions: “Do I have to read the books on this list?” and “Do I have to read books on my grade level?”
These are great books, but only suggestions. Read what you enjoy at the level that you choose.
7. Do the books HAVE TO come from the library? Can I read my own books?
The Johnson County Library has a wide variety of books which we encourage you to explore this summer; but you are not restricted to this collection. You may read your own books.
8. Can I find Summer Reading Club information on the Internet?
Yes! Go to www.jocolibrary.org/summerreading to learn about the “Dream big READ!” reading club, print off reading logs, and find out about fun events going on at your favorite JCL location and more. Information about the teen Goodreads online reading program is available at www.jocoteenscene.org/goodreads.
9. Can we count the number of pages read rather than whole books?
Yes. You may measure your progress by pages, books, or time spent reading.
10. Do I have to write out the titles of the books I read?
No, you can decide how to track your reading. If you like to keep a list of the titles you read you can write the titles on the book list portion of the log; but, you don’t have to. If you would rather just track the number of books read you can color in a star for each book you read.
11. What do I get when I finish?
You can pick out a prize paperback book at any JCL location between July 1 and August 4, thereafter at any library while supplies last or until August 11. Those returning their completed logs by August 4 are eligible to enter a drawing for one of 3 family 4-packs of tickets to Science City at Union Station and a neighborhood branch prize to be a “Star” on their own READ poster.
12. Will you send my child’s completion slip to their school to let them know (s)he participated in the summer reading club?
No information on specific children is sent to the schools; however, we will send the schools a compiled report about the number of children participating in our club from each school. If your child’s teacher or school offers incentives for participating in our club please keep their reading log or completion certificate as proof of participation.