Materials can be returned to any Johnson County or Olathe Public Library location, regardless of where you originally checked them out.
All About Overdue Books and Fines
Johnson County Library makes every attempt to notify patrons of fines or fees and overdue materials, but you are responsible for your own account and those of minors for whom you signed a Responsibility Agreement. Remember:
- Fines are 30 cents per day with a maximum fine of $6 per item.
- Check your account frequently online or call us at (913) 826-4600 for due dates
- The Library employs Unique National Collections to recover overdue fines, fees and materials. This is not a collections agency.
Fines can be paid online or in person at any Library location. We accept payment by cash, check, VISA, Mastercard or Discover. Credit card payments can also be made over the phone at (913) 826-4600 during business hours.
The Library will alert you in writing when your account has incurred fees above $15 and any part of that balance has been outstanding for at least 30 days. At that point you will need to contact a staff member to check out, place holds, or renew materials until the balance is paid in full.
Should your account reach $25 in fees, you won’t be able to check out, place holds, or renew anything until it is reduced below that amount. If your account has fees above $25 and any part of that balance has been outstanding for at least 30 days, a non-refundable $10 fee will be applied to your account and you will not be able to check out, place holds, renew anything, or use study rooms until the balance is paid in full.
To keep this from happening, remember to monitor Your Account online!
Just about every item can have its check-out period extended up to three times if no one else is waiting for it. Renew materials one of these ways:
If an item is checked out or located at another branch, you can place a hold and have it sent to the location of your choice.
- Place holds in the Library catalog, in person or on the phone by calling (913) 826-4600.
- We will notify you when the item is available for pickup and place it on our hold shelf for seven days.
- You may have up to 30 active holds on your library account at any given time.
If you would like to request materials not owned by Johnson County or Olathe Public Library, you can request an Interlibrary Loan (Johnson County residents only).
Picking Up Holds for You and Your Family
All library locations have shelves that keep available holds. You can just walk in, grab your books, check out and be on your way.
You will need to bring the same Library card that was used to place the hold, including those for children or spouses.