Why Join the Friends of the Johnson County Library?
Nearly 1,000 dedicated members of this non-profit organization help to make Johnson County Library one of the strongest and best libraries in the country. For more than 50 years, the Friends have provided leadership and support, and have raised our community’s awareness of library programs and services.
Click here to print the form (PDF)
Complete the application form
Mail the application and a check to:
Friends of the Library, P.O. Box. 183, Shawnee Mission, KS 66201.
You can drop your completed application by any Library location or at any Friends bookstore.
What do the Friends do?
- Operate two used book stores
- Conduct annual book mark design contest
- Hold used book sales
- Host special events, receptions and programs
- Communicate with state and local elected officials about library issues
- Participate in Library volunteer opportunities
- Attend community events to promote the Library
- Present the Shankel Award for Distinguished Library service
How does that support the Library?
- Fund youth Library summer reading clubs
- Co-sponsor adult Library cultural, literary and educational programs
- Supplement Library staff development and leadership program
- Actively promote Library services to the community
- Help the Library buy books and other materials
- Underwrite special Library events
- Recruit volunteers for the Library
- Donate to the Library Foundation
What are the Friends members' special privileges?
- Invitations to special Library and Friends events
- 10% discount at both used book stores
- First day entry to annual book sale
- Complimentary newsletter with Library updates
- Participation in Friends activities
- Opportunities to purchase Library/Friends logo merchandise
What are the Friends volunteer opportunities for me?
- Sort or sell used books at Antioch or Blue Valley Book Stores
- Staff used book sales
- Assist with assembly projects and mailings
- Participate in special events and receptions
- Advocate for state and local library funding
- Help with online book sales
- Serve on the Friends board or committees to help plan Friends activities
- Volunteer at one of the 13 Library locations
- Assist with Merriam Adopt-A-Park program